In March 1865, it was reported that 301 civilians were
in Point Lookout Prison!
Records on civilians seem to be rather sketchy though occasionally
the number of deaths of civilian prisoners were included
in the weekly reports. In a total of five weekly reports
in early 1865, thirteen citizens were reported to have died.
If it is figured that on the average two to three citizens
died weekly for the period that the camp was in operation
then the death rate among civilians was in excess of FIFTY
PERCENT of those imprisoned. Undoubtedly they could not stand
the hardships of the camp as well as the seasoned soldier.
Many of the civilian prisoners were blockade runners as some
96 prisoners so designed were released during May 1865...Pt.
Lookout POW Camp for Confederates by Edwin Beitzell
"When re-interring the dead at the Point, I found
70 unknown Confederate dead and others had been buried outside
Small Pox Hospital"....E. Edward Gilbert, Agent of the
Quarter Master Dept., July 12, 1866.
Among the civilians imprisoned in Pt. Lookout that we have
names for are:
- Bradburn, John S. Ran blockade. Was imprisoned "and" escaped!
- Brock, Hezekiah from Chesterfield County, SC
- Byrne William, citizen of MD
- Caswell, Car. Blockade runner, St. Mary's County
- Cole, R. Died at Pt. Lookout. Name NOT on monument
- Connelly Mr. - Merchant at Clifton Factory
- Clarke, Robert for carrying letters (dealing in contraband
supplies) between MD and VA. Arrested in Leonardtown, MD.
- Downs, James S. He was editor of "St. Mary's Beacon".
His presses were confiscated for printing Lincoln atrocities.
- Foxwell, James L. Blockade runner, St. Mary's County
- George, Alexander. Died at Pt. Lookout. Name NOT on
- George John, from Lancaster County, VA. He was sixty
- Gough, Joseph T. of Medley's Neck, MD
- Harding, Richard. Died at Pt. Lookout. Name NOT on monument
- Hodges, J. W. dealing in contraband supplies, from
St. Mary's County
- Humphreys, William T. Died at Pt. Lookout. Name NOT on
- Jones, Dr. J. N. from Isle of Wight County,
- Litten, John. VA civilian, died at PL, name
NOT on monument
- Mattingly, John, from Leonardtown, MD
- McGinnis, Nicholos w/his un-named colored
man, blockade runner
- Moore, J.W.J. Washington Hotel proprietor
- Norris, William from MD
- Norris, James Romanus. Citizen of St. Mary's County.
- Paul, Captain George from Medley's
- Pearch, Washington. Blockade
- Rivers, Drew. Died at Pt. Lookout. Name NOT on monument
- Scott, William. Blockade runner
from St. Mary's County
- Spaulding, C.C. from Chaptico
- Spencer, Mr.
- Swan, Robert, dealing in
contraband supplies, captured
- Tate, Hampton. Free
colored man, blockade
- Thomas, Wesley. Blockade
runner, St. Mary's
- Slye D. W. Citizen
- English, James W. (surveyor from Westmoreland County,
- Mr. Bush (from Lancaster County)
- Cartwright, William Joshua, St. Mary's County
- Herriman, Melvin Harrison, Chaptico, St. Mary's County
- Mattingly, Thomas Dominick, Chaptico, MD